Before taking a trip to Mauritius, you should be aware of some practical information concerning your luggage and identity administrative papers that you should not forget to bring with you.
Please read carefully the following information in order for you to avoid unpleasant situations.
Checked luggage in Mauritius
Before packing, take the following points into account:
The Free Baggage Allowance corresponds to the weight of baggage you are allowed to carry in the hold. On Air Mauritius flights, your Free Baggage Allowance is as follows:
Business Class: 30kg
Economy Class: 23kg
- Other conditions may be applied if you have a flight connection with another airline.
- For security reasons, some airlines, including Air Mauritius airport, will definitely not accept to carry any single piece of baggage weighing more than 32kg.
- Even if the airlines are very careful in handling baggage, your luggage must be quite resistant.
- Your checked baggage must have your name, permanent address and phone number affixed to it. Your tag must also mention the destination.
Unchecked baggage means cabin bag, since it is not sent in the holding. There are maximum dimensions and/or weight for Unchecked Baggage. It must fit in the seat in front of you or in an enclosed storage compartment in the cabin of the aircraft. If it is not the case, it must be carried as Checked Baggage.
- Only a single cabin bag weighing 7kg maximum.
- The sum of the width, length and height shall not exceed 115cm.
- Are also accepted a limited number of duty free and personal articles, as well as a lap top.
- Read more about conditions of carriage
Items prohibited in cabin
Restricted and dangerous items
Liquids, aerosols, and gels (LAGs)
Passport and Visa in Mauritius
If you yearn for a pleasant stay in Mauritius and in case you want to extend your holiday, you can consult a full information package on visa in the PDF documents below (source: MTPA).
Warning: passengers arriving without a visa (if required) may be repatriated to their country of origin or residence at the transporting carrier’s expenses.
For more information, contact your travel agency or consult the Mauritian government site.
Application for visa
Application to enter Mauritius
Visitors travelling to Mauritius for holiday must hold a valid passport for at least six months from the date of arrival in Mauritius, as well as a valid return or onward ticket to their country of origin or residence.
The Mauritian government does not recognize passports of the following governments: Taiwan, the Turkish Republic of Nordic Cyprus, Botsphutatswana, Ciskei, Transkei, Venda and other existing states of the South African Republic. However, citizens of these countries may apply for an entry permit and shall not undertake a journey without any prior authority.
Passport and Immigration Office
Tel: (230) 210-9312
Fax: (230) 212-2398
Application for a Mauritian Passport
Inscrption pour une approbation de passeport
Application for a passport endorsement
- Passengers coming to Mauritius other than for the purpose of tourism, visits or business, should obtain prior authority from the Passport and Immigration Office before undertaking any travel to Mauritius.
- Any person who wishes to seek employment or engage in any gainful occupation in Mauritius will not be allowed to enter Mauritius unless he is the holder of a valid residence permit and a work permit issued by the Mauritius Authorities.
- Any person who stays in Mauritius after the expiry of the period, for which he obtained a visa or entry permit as the case may be, shall commit an offence and is liable for prosecution by a Court of Law.
- Visitors/Tourists may be granted a permit to stay in Mauritius for a period not exceeding six months in a calendar year and up to 90 days in a calendar year to non-citizens travelling to Mauritius for purpose of business without remuneration, provided they meet the immigration requirements.
- Non-citizens travelling to Mauritius as tourist/visitors will not be issued any permits or extension of visas to follow studies/training courses. Prospective students are advised to travel to Mauritius only after their application for study/training in Mauritius would have been approved.
- The Final Decision to admit a passenger into Mauritius rests solely on the Immigration Authorities after examination at the points of entry.
Source: Passport Office Mauritius